A deep and enduring commitment to the principles of social justice and rights-based practice throughout an employment history spanning two decades, across all tiers of government, and community and public sectors.
Most recently a Director within a large community health organisation of approximately 840 staff and a budget of $70m. Responsible in that role for cross-organisational strategic alignment, consumer participation and community activation; equity and access; population health planning; policy, research, ethics and advocacy; and communications.
Career functions have included executive-level management, strategic planning and high-level policy advocacy, organisational development and change management, adult education, service delivery, board governance, community engagement, and volunteer support.
Roles have involved establishment of new programs and models, and legislative, policy and systems change requiring capacity to strategise, influence and lead; design and innovate; project manage; work with complex systems; and anticipate and mitigate risk.
A consultative and respectful leadership style built on open and honest communication that promotes individual strengths and supports attainment of individual and organisational goals.
Achievements have been built on a demonstrated commitment to effective change management ensuring stakeholder participation and engagement; collaborative relationships; and sustained quality, effectiveness and reputation.
- cohealth: Executive leadership throughout the merge of three long-standing and respected organisations; facilitated delivery of inaugural strategic plan.
- WRHC: Delivered a transformative rights-based strategic plan and performance framework and many of the subsequent initiatives that contributed to the organisation’s receipt of the 2013 Premier’s Health Service of the Year.
- VEOHRC: Made a leading contribution to Victoria’s human rights education and engagement framework and related materials, resources and strategies following enactment of the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.
- VAADA: Delivery of a statewide sector consultation that contributed to the development of a new Victorian alcohol and drug services blueprint.
- Australian Democrats: Strategic use of Senate standing orders to support policy and legislative advocacy, elevating young people in nursing homes onto the COAG agenda and preventing amendments to the Sex and Disability Discrimination Acts.
- Working It Out: Establishment of a statewide multi-pronged support service for LGBTI young people that continues today.
- Other employment and voluntary experience
- Boards and committees
- Bachelor of Social Work, Curtin University of Technology WA, 1991-1994
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (TAA40104), ASCET TAFE Melbourne, 2007
- Adaptive Leadership 4-day Intensive, Social Leadership Australia, 2012
- Bachelor of Social Science (first year) 1990 and Bachelor of Business (first year) 1989, Curtin University of Technology WA